A Step-by-Step Guide
If you’re a fan of flavorful rice dishes, then you should try making dum pukht polao. This is a traditional Pakistani and Indian rice dish that is cooked using the dum pukht method, which involves slow-cooking the rice and meat in a sealed pot. The result is a deliciously fragrant and flavorful dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. In this article, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make dum pukht polao at home.
Table of Contents
- Ingredients Needed
- Preparing the Meat
- Preparing the Rice
- Cooking the Dish
- Serving the Dish
- Tips and Trick
To make dum pukht polao, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg of rice
- 1 kg of beef or lamb meat
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of saffron
- 2 cups of water
Preparing the Meat
- Wash the meat and cut it into medium-sized cubes.
- In a large pot, heat up the vegetable oil and fry the sliced onions until they turn golden brown.
- Add the meat to the pot and stir well until it browns on all sides.
- Add the cumin seeds, black pepper, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, and cloves to the pot and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pot and cover it. Let the meat cook on low heat for about 30 minutes, or until it is tender.
Preparing the Rice
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice in cold water for about 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice to the pot of boiling water.
- Add the saffron and salt to the pot and stir well.
- Let the rice cook on medium heat until it is about 80% done. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the rice and set it aside.
Cooking the Dish
- In a large pot, layer the cooked meat and rice.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of ghee on top of the rice.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and seal the edges with dough to prevent any steam from escaping.
- Cook the dish on low heat for about 30-45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the dish rest for about 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix the meat and rice together.
- Serve hot.
Serving the Dish
Dum pukht polao is traditionally served with raita, which is a yogurt-based sauce. You can also serve it with pickles or chutney.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to use good quality meat for this dish.
- The rice should be cooked until it is about 80% done to prevent it from becoming overcooked during the dum pukht process.
- Seal the pot tightly to prevent any steam from escaping. This will ensure that the dish is cooked properly and that the flavors are locked in.